Test Footer 1

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Posts Tagged With: tropical fruit The Milk Fruit – Plei Tuek Doh Ko in Khmer

·   0

Image result for fruit in cambodia

Here’s another strange fruit that I came across here for the first time in my life. The milk fruit in English, ‘plei teuk doh ko’ in Khmer. The fruit flesh around the seeds is jelly like. It’s got a sweet taste to it. Although the first time I tried it, it wasn’t even sweet. It was just strange with no particularly exciting flavour (to my disappointment). The second time the fruit was slightly sweet as my partner explained – sometimes they are sweet and sometimes not!! They are the size of an apple and have hard black seeds. When you cut them a whitish liquid oozes out that looks like milk-hence the name in Khmer which means milk fruit -actually it’s ‘fruit of water from the tits of a cow’ to be exact with the translation! Tits of a cow would of course be udder in English:-). It’s the same word for cow’s and women’s breasts in Khmer (but not for cows and women……I’d like to add….heheh…..!!:-)
milk fruit
Categories: CambodiaFruitUncategorized | Tags: , | Leave a comment

Unknown Stunningly Beautiful Small Red Thai Fruit – Sa’ree in Khmer

Here’s an amazing looking fruit that I picked up on the Thai side of the Poipet border coming back from Bangkok. They are the size of cherries and taste nothing like them. In fact cherries taste mush better (if they’re not pumped full of chemicals) in my opinion. But these look just astounding!!
They are called Sa’ree in Khmer. Haven’t a clue in English. They are juicy with a bit of crunch, have a hint of sweet and a hint of sour. I ate them with the traditional salt and chilli mix you get with all sour fruits here. In fact I was rather disappointed with the taste. I expected something much more spectacular because of it’s beauty!!
unknown khmer fruits, strange cambodian fruits, sa'ree
Categories: CambodiaFruitUncategorized | Tags: , | 11 Comments

Fruity Fetishes continued: The Custard Apple (Thee’up in Khmer)

So, my blogging posts have become sparse whilst my life hasn’t really become busier, but my mind is somewhat pre-occupied with the events of my life. And there is one shocking event from the past week that has left me almost speechless and very angry. I will write a post about this in the near future once I have digested this real life happening! – Click here to read more as I’ve posted about this event now!!
Now back to the my beloved fruits of Asia!! I’m not a fan of custard because we were forced to eat it in primary school (in London of course-for those of you who haven’t read the ‘about me’ section of my blog, I didn’t grow up in Bangladesh!) And I eat the occasional apple but also a pretty boring fruit in my world. So how about the custard apple (thee’up in Khmer). Nothing like custard or apples (haha!) It looks very similar to a cherimoya (and tastes the same to my taste buds) that I’ve ate many times back in Europe. I’ve just done some online research and they are from the same family. Some say they are the same fruit with a different name but the cherimoya has different skin to the custard apple from my experience. A cherimoya has skin that surrounds the flesh in one piece. When you cut it the skin stays in one piece. This description may be a bit strange but I don’t know how else to word it. The custard apple has skin that is thick and comes off in segments. You can see the segments in the pictures below. The taste is extremely sweet and the texture creamy and slightly grainy. I love this fruit. Easy to eat-meaning easy to peel with your bare hands and actually quite filling as a fruit. The fruit flesh comes in segments too surrounding a hard black seed. They are the size of a medium sized apple.
custard apple
You can see below the the skin and fruit flesh segments coming apart with ease!!
custard apple
Source from: https://nurulsculinaryadventures.wordpress.com/

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :